Sunday, October 22, 2006

Billy Joe Shaver

Billy Joe Shaver

Along with Willie Nelson and some Dead, Billy Joe Shaver is the only other person in all of music that can make me cry at the drop of a hat. You've probably heard his songs sung by Waylon and Willie, but if you reside outside of Texas, I reckon he's not on your radar at all.

Billy Joe's life has been turbulant; he's been a wrangler and a rambler. He lost his Mom and wife to cancer, only to lose his son (his best friend and guitarist) to heroin - in the same year. I implore you to listen to this interview with Terry Gross.

I guarantee you just might shed a tear.

Billy Joe Shaver is pure americana, and his songs are the epitome of the word authentic
. He is an american treasure, and he is a treasure to the entire world. I am so fortunate to have seen him play at Willie's Fourth of July Picnic this past summer.

We can all learn something from this man. He's taught me that when "all you do is lose, you better find a way to win".

Billy Joe Shaver Biography

No comments: